In Baku Soviet&Modern Pop-Culture Free Tour you explore social-cultural-leasure heart of downtown Baku labeled as “Tarqovı” (Nizami street) and learn about exquisite stories of love and hatred, rise and fall, happiness and tragedy, turmoil and tranquillity, contrast and harmony from confluent lives of oil barons, Soviet times and everyday people.
You will be guided to the social and cultural formation of Fountains Square (then Parapet), Nizami (then Torgovaya), and Khagani (Xəqani; then Molokanskaya) streets in Baku based on real-life stories, urban legends, and myths that have been developed through socialist Soviet and capitalist modern times. The tour ends with a free cup of black Azerbaijani tea at Coffee Moffie, a local coffee shop.
- Explore downtown on 2.5 hours walking tour
- Understand Soviet times and Pop-Culture in Baku
- Hear about Urban legends and myths
- Soak up atmosphere of popular culture
- Empathize with love stories of Baku
- Spot central pubs and cafes
- Led by a local guide
- Tour ends with a glass of local wine
The tour takes place EVERY MONDAY, WEDNESDAY & FRIDAY. However, booking is REQUIRED.
Out front of Pizza Hut/KFC at Fountains Square
START TIME: 16:00 PM
This tour is entirely based on tips. How much you tip is completely up to you. You decide at the end of the tour how much you think it is worth, or what the amount is that guide deserves as an appreciation of services provided at the end.
- At least four people are required to run the tour.
- The tour is offered in English and Azerbaijani.
- Subject to availability.